Thursday, June 5, 2008

OK, the jackpot ( lots of pictures!)

I love to hit yard sales. My favorite things to look for are vintage crochet or tatting items. Funny thing is, the one thing I almost never find is shuttles.On the weekends, I jump in my truck and head out to the country because I love riding dirt roads. The old houses and barns, the animals, the overall peacefulness are something I can't get enough of. So, with a full tank of gas and cash in my pocket, I was off!

First I stopped at a barn sale in the village of Cottrellsville. That is where I found these:
Two dollars for the whole batch. I was in heaven!

Next, I was out near Algonac and stopped at a yard sale there. After some digging, I unearthed this in a bag:
I don't have any children, but I love love love to crochet baby items. They're always a big seller at craft shows and for baby shower gifts. This batch cost $1.50.

After stopping for some lunch, I was off again. Just wandering aimlessly, I followed a dirt road to another yard sale at an old schoolhouse that someone converted to a home. So much stuff, lots of pottery (another weakness of mine), so I limited myself to $30. I got these:

They were a keeper! $2 each. When I got them home, I realized each issue included a tatting pattern by Myrtle Hamilton. Then, at the same sale I found this:
FULL


EMPTY

Three more dollars. OK, deal!

Just as I was leaving my eyes spied these on a little rickety bookshelf:

A measly $1.25 for the bunch. Excellent!

And I was on the road again. One last stop for the day at an antiques shop in Marine City turned up this:
A Kiwi tatting book! I had to have it. Here's some eye candy...


Edgings...


A dressing table set...


And a beaded veil...


That one cost $6, but it was well worth it. There's also more edgings, another veil, additional pieces to the one shown on the cover and some doily patterns. I think it's one of the best books from the 1940s I have ever come across. Finding this one was the icing on the cake of a great day.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! What terrific finds! I just can't get into garage sales... maybe because I have too much "stuff" already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day, you did great! Can't wait to see what all you create with your good finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous stash. How fun I love to go antiqueing...we don't have barn sales here, but we do have antique-ing streets down by the beach in the "hippie" part of town. It's so fun to go look for vintage tatting and shuttles and tatting books. Sounds like going to barn sales would be BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a collection! I'll be happy enough with that bucket-full of threads. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello ladies! It was a lot of fun. Diane, I love stuff. It doesn't matter what it is. Stuff is good!

    TattingChic, the cities of Royal Oak and Berkley have hippie areas that are just like that.

    Jon and Bonnie, nice to see you! That picture does not do the thread justice. So many pretty colors, I'm partial to the lavender/white/yellow combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy stink girl! You really did hit the jackpot! Thanks for sharing...I dream about finds like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow and double wow, especially for the thread. We don't have anything like that at all here in Ireland.
    What a fun day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you don't have to go shopping any day soon! I'm absolutely green with envy. My hat of to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a crafter's day out. One of the things that I miss about US (stayed there from 1979 to 1983) is the garage/yard sales.

    ReplyDelete