Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tatting and tornados

Tornados and thunderstorms with 70 mph winds blew through my area this afternoon. One minute it was a nice HOT Sunday afternoon, the next black skies, lightning bolts, and tornado sirens screaming. While cowering in the basement, I tatted up the little petal doily that has been making the blog rounds lately. Mine is done with DMC Perle cotton 5. Why I chose to use something that big to tat with is beyond me. I had to use a lot of tension to make the stitches look even. Now my hands feel a little achy. Nothing an Aleve can't take care of.

I'm going to tat this one again in something finer. As you can see, I had a bit of a problem with the chains that make the petals.

I've been meaning to post a picture of the finished 'Eleonora'. So here it is:


Not too shabby! I'm going to order Iris' book "Tatting Together Square Motifs". I've seen some of the motifs done by other tatters, and I think there's something in there that would be perfect for a dresser scarf I'd like to make.

14 comments:

  1. OH, it's the vintage 1929 daisy that made the rounds a few weeks back...good job. You Eleonora doily looks very nice, pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, your Eleonora is so pretty, love the colours. I think maybe that's going to be next on my list after I finish Beatrice.
    Nice tatting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daisy is beautiful! I haven't tried it yet, but I think I might have to. Eleanora turned out beautifully! I've already pulled out my Iris Niebach book and chosen my next doily... I just can't get enough of her designs!

    Tatting Together Square Motifs is a great book! I was just looking at it yesterday. I guess I'm going to have to break down and tat with two shuttles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colour you used for the flower. It turned out very nice for cowering in the basement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. A daisy! Yes, that's what it is. I don't know why I said petal doily. I wish I could figure out how to make the petals as rings like Wally Sosa did. Hers is stunning!

    I am really getting into Iris' patterns, too! Call me an addict. I think the next one I'm going to try is Milena. Now I just have to decide on a thread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dolies are wonderful pretty! A specially the orange one. I can't imagine how you made it so dense. Well excecuted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The daisy and the doily are both beautiful. I'm glad you didn't get hurt in the storms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thread you use for Eleonora is the same as my third try in HDT. And I mean the same because the color somehow faded (as compared the other two HDTs). And I use my Elle sports shirt as inspiration. I guess it is a favourite combination.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie, I realized I already commented, but I can't stop thinking of you huddled in your basement with sirens and tornado winds rushing overhead, how scary that must have been and yet in a moment of turmoil you created a beautiful piece of lace. I find that so profound and it speaks well of your character and state of mind. I think it's like the pearl of the oyster when it gets an irritation in it's tender lining it creates a pearl. That tatted daisy is your beautiful pearl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, TattingChic. That's a lovely way of describing that day. Even though the storm passed fairly quickly, I just stayed down there because it was peaceful. :)It's been nearly a week and there are still neighborhoods around here without power. As I look out the window, I see lightning jumping from cloud to cloud, so it looks like we're in for another wild night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that at least you are okay. I'll be keeping you in my prayers that you'll be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This orange is very nice! In a sample of where to find it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Klacko, The orange thread is DMC No. 5 Perle Cotton. I do not remember the color number.

    ReplyDelete