Monday, July 7, 2008

Public domain question

Hello everyone. Hope the holiday was a good one. I have a question about public domain. How do you know if something is in the public domain and if it's okay to post or publish the item in question?

I came across a huge stack of Workbasket magazines this past weekend and would like to share some of the patterns with everyone in Tat Land. It would be a shame for them to collect dust for another forty years. But I haven't done anything with them because I don't know the rules or regulations regarding this subject. I've asked around, but have gotten conflicting answers. That's why I'm asking you all. Hopefully, someone in the tatting community can clear the air for me. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. The Workbasket Magazines are still under copyright, so you can't reproduce any of those patterns anywhere. That's the only part I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that makes me sad. There are a few doily patterns that I think everyone would go bonkers for. Thanks, Marilee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yarnplayer is right, of course. They are still under copyright. I asked the same question about a year ago. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, someone that I know posted some and she said she got a lot of negative responses from people because of the copyright thing. It is a shame because WorkBasket does have some fun patterns. Too bad they're not doing something to make them more accessible like compiling all the old tatting patterns into a big book. That would be totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete