Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More block tatting

TIAS #4 finally broke the ice for me to practice block tatting. With every new technique, I shy away from it no matter how badly I want to learn it. I'm not as bad as I used to be, thanks to all the great people in Blogland. Without you all, I'd still be doing hens and chicks with size 10 thread and that's all.

Here is my latest go at block tatting, Inga Madsen's giraffe:



Still have to work on my tension, but getting better! He was done with DMC size 80 (color #51)thread and is about 3.75 inches high and 2 inches across. To join the picots, I had to use a #15 hook (.04mm). He was a lot of fun to tat, not to mention that I love love love giraffes!

Thanks to Jane Eborall for coming up with that one shuttle technique to do this. Brilliant!

Now it's off to Martha Ess' block tatting books that have been sitting on my bookshelf for the past three months.

9 comments:

  1. He's brilliant. LOVE the variagated thread you've used. Keep up the good work.
    You'll LOVE Martha's patterns for block tatting. SO cute and very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your giraffe looks wonderful! I'm still trying to perfect block tatting. I know I'll get it some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the giraffe! Martha's block tatting books are so sweet and cute. Can't wait to see what you will tat up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I had so much fun, now I'm all fired up. Looks like I'll be buying more thread this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your giraffe turned out great! I agree that Sherry's TIAS 4 has pushed me also to practice the block tatting, especially with Janes new way of doing block tatting. I always wanted to do this giraffe and now I will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love giraffes too! It looks like you are a block master!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to leave a comment here once before this week. We'll see if this one "takes", LOL! I just wanted to say that it's great that you're doig more block tatting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, TattingChic.

    Blogger has been acting weird for me all week. Aggravating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors you've been using! Very nice! And the giraffe is cute. I bought an Inga Madsen book with the cute animals and haven't done a one yet! Started the dog... I haven't tried the block tatting yet, but I will. Reading about other people succeeding is an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete