Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fun with picot gauges

I've never been one to use a picot gauge. I'm pretty good at just eyeballing them. Until today, that is. I'm making bookmarks for Christmas presents using Dianna Stevens' Animal Bookmarks A Tatted Zoo. The kids are going to love them!

Anyhow, some of the critters call for very long picots that require the use of a picot gauge. I cut an old credit card to the sizes I needed and I was off to the races. Piece of cake, right? Oh boy, was I wrong wrong wrong! I got the hang of it after a while. Definitely something I am going to have to practice, though. You can see my improvement from one bookmark to the other.

The cockerel is tatted in 'Nicobar Pigeon', size 20. He was bookmark #2 and his picots are marvelous. The peacock was tatted in 'Helms Deep' and 'Seaweed', size 80. He was my test subject. Not too bad, but I'm not giving this one as a gift. I'll revisit this pattern in a few days time and try it again.

10 comments:

  1. they are both beautiful but peacock is my favorite. i have never tried a picot gague. I usually just eyeball too.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think they're both fabulous. Don't know what you mean about the peacock. Take another look at it - it's fine. I rarely use a picot gauge either. I make them from time to time and promptly lose them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of them Steph. I might have to buy this book. Yes, the kids will love them! I seldom use a gauge but sometimes there is no cure for it. I did the same thing you did with the credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one way to use a picot gauge! LOL! I've never used one, but then I haven't done something like that! The peacock feathers are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! Jane, I guess the peacock doesn't look very good to me because the picots are not as even as the one in the book. I'm glad you all like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are both great, I got 'Nicobar Pigeon' too and that's a great use for it , now all I need is the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The peacock is looking fine to me. Uneven picots? Hey! that's what make it uniquely yours.

    I too, use an old credit card for my picot gauge. But, in general I don't use it often - only when I need to make really long picots and lots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Jon and Pamela. I feel better about my crooked looking peacock now! :)

    Pam, when I first saw 'Nicobar Pigeon' the first thing that came to mind was what a magnificent rooster it would make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are both so cute!
    What a lot of picots to measure! I usually just use a ruler, and only when I have longer picots. I do have a set of picot guages, but they are never the size I need. Cutting your own sounds like a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete