Sunday, November 2, 2008

Losing stuff

Almost everytime I sit down to tat, I lose something. Usually, it's my hook for joining picots. A few times I thought the answer to the solution would be to find a Milwards shuttle that has the hook with a handle on one end. Only I'm not going to pay those outrageous prices I see them going for on eBay.

Instead, I made my own set of unloseable (Is that a word? It is now.) hooks. I cut down three of the 1,539 hooks(because I might lose one)laying around, drilled a hole, added jump rings and connected it to this very handy clip-on retractor I found in the quilting section of Joann, etc. Voila, I don't lose my hooks anymore. All the materials were things I already had for different craft projects. The only thing I paid for was the retractor, a whopping $4.99. It's also great for holding a small pair of thread snips, too.

9 comments:

  1. I love mine! In fact, I have 2 of them, one for at home and one in my traveling tatting box. Lacis sells the small hooks like that too, but it sounds like you had plenty to pick from and the tools to do it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome possum solution! Love the resourcefulness! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inventive. You did a great job. I have a bought one on a chain around my neck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A retractable clip-on, I like that. I had my husband cut down some crochet hooks and drill the holes and just put them on a necklace chain. At home I sometimes just use the magnetic pin tray I have, I usually don't loose them that way either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness,I thought I was the only one who lost my tatting tools.
    I can never find my picot guage(aka toothpick) or my hook, or my snips. My solution was to purchase a thing called a bead buddy lap board and everything I need is on a deep tray that sits flat on my lap and that way if the phone rings or I need to get up suddenly I just pick it up and put it aside and nothing gets lost. I had a hook on a retractor too but sadly while at tat days the retractor broke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lap tray! Now that's a great idea. I'm going to see how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have tools to drill and cut the hooks. But i've shared my 'method' on my blog =)

    ReplyDelete