Saturday, December 20, 2008

A blizzard!

No, not the tatted kind, but a real blizzard yesterday! Twelve inches of snow by 11:30 a.m. The onslaught began promptly at 5 o'clock in the morning. It was like someone flipped a lightswitch. One minute, clear skies and the next you couldn't see more than three feet in front of you. I'd show you all some pictures, but there's nothing to see except a big square of white. Haha! Knowing I'd be snowed in, I stocked at the grocery store so I wanted for nothing. It was actually nice being snowed in, very peaceful and quiet, and I got done some things I have been putting off, such as cleaning and organizing my closets.

One of my neighbors has a beautiful Christmas lights display that I love to look at. Last night, he added candles to the window sills, which makes his home look very inviting. This inspired me to go through my books and big binders full of patterns. Off the shuttles last night came this:



The pattern for this lovely little candle is courtesy of Jane! I had a good time tatting it and the beadwork was good practice. There is an alternate version which uses brass rings that I really want to try. Maybe later today I'll head out to see if I can find some.

14 comments:

  1. Well I looked at that and thought 'my, that looks familiar'!!! I've got a brain with holes in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I can almost see the glow from the flame.

    We missed the big snow here and just had a little ice. But it is cold and getting colder! And windy! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, Jane! You are too funny.

    Thanks, Wanda. I decided I am not leaving the house until Monday. We have more on the way tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the candle! We had ice... our driveway is a skating rink! We had a snow day, so one extra day of Christmas break! I'm not venturing out in the ice, but my husband and daughter both have. Luckily we have power... some of our neighbors aren't expecting to get it back until Sunday. Enjoy all the white stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your candle turned out quite beautifully! The beadwork is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is a lovely candle! I need to go check out Jane's patterns again...I don't remember seeing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like beads with tatting and this is a great example, a lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Man...I am soooo missing the snow! Please enjoy it for me!
    That is a great story to go along with a great tatted candle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fab, I don't remember seeing it before, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is Just so Cheerful! Thank you for posting it. Your beading on it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone!

    Sherry, come get your snow! There's more on the way Tuesday and Wednesday. *cries*

    Hello, Msquared! Nice to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Steph, I commented back to you on my blog and I don't know if you saw it or not, but I had given you the wrong link. Here is the correct link:

    http://www.antiquepatterns.dreamhosters.com/DeWittPrisTat1.pdf

    Scroll down to figure 43 and that is an 8 pointed motif that I modified into a 6 pointed snowflake for one of the snowflake designs (pictured twice in my snowfall). Yarnplayer left a comment where she recalls what books the rest of them are from! Hope that helps to answer your question you left me about the patterns! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! But will have to wait until next year, darn! Thanks for sharing where you got it as I don't recall seeing it in Jane's blog/site. I'm going to go look around again just in case I missed something else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, TattingChic. I love the Antique Pattern Library.

    Hello Barbara! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete