Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Spirit, Part Two!

I got my hands on some teeny tiny(size 15/0) seed beads this weekend. Ten colors in 2.5 gram containers for ten dollars. As a bonus, they were silver lined which I think really makes the beads stand out. They're perfect for size 80 thread, so it was time to experiment.

The little wreath (designed by Samantha Melnychuk) originally called for clusters of three in the center rings, but that really overwhelmed it, so I used one for each. Yarnplayer's 'Forest' was used to tat it.

The patriotic star is from Monica Hahn's Christmas book. The thread is an old, old ball of Star 70. I wish I would've put more thought into the beads on this one. A bead separating each center ring would have really set it off.

The big snowflake is Lene Bjorn's 24 Snowflakes in Tatting, The Tenth Day of December. I used size 20 in Yarnplayer's 'Morning Glory'. Perfect color for snowflakes.

The green one is from Maus' old Round Robin site. There's supposed to be a charm hanging in the center, but I used Olympus 40 thread so the space was too small. I used pearls on each center picot instead.

The little pink variegated snowflake is from Blomqvist and Persson's book, Tatting Patterns and Designs. This is one of my favorite books to tat from. I picked this little gem up at a book sale at the local library for $1.00. Can't beat that.




And one more thing, this is my 2008 Christmas door wreath. Every year I make a new one, then give away the one from the previous year. Little Christmas mice hard at work making the wreath for me. Isn't that nice? The patterns are an old Leisure Arts leaflet I got from Country Yarns. If there's something on the list you don't see, all you have to do is email Jeannie and she'll go dig for it and let you know if she has it. She's really quick in responding to emails, too.

7 comments:

  1. Your tatting are so lovely. i like the colours that you have picked for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww...the Christmas mice are adorable! I like the tatted wreath the best of all the tattings you got going on there! You've been very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tatting and the wreath is precious. And, I can't believe you got that book for $1. It's one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the nice comments. My mousy wreath was something I just HAD to crochet. It was so different from the usual holly, poinsettia, candy cane stuff. "Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse..." Not in my house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wreath is wonderful, thanks so much for showing it to us..and your tatting display is beautiful as usual.

    ReplyDelete