Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gray hair and Motif #2

On Sunday as I was hanging fresh towels in the bathroom, I saw something odd looking back at me in the mirror. "What?!...it better not be....Oh no, NONONONONO, IT IS!" A gray hair, my first (that I know of). It couldn't be in an inconspicuous place, oh no, but right in the front in my bangs. Not a pale brown or light golden blonde that would blend in, oh no. It was a blinding platinum, bright-as-a-thousand-suns bright. *cries* Off to the nearest Walgreen's I go to pick a new color. My hair is too long for just one kit, so I always have to buy two. Back in the old days when I used to get my hair highlighted, it would cost me $200 a pop. No more of that nonsense.

Yesterday was my first day of work after being off for almost three weeks. It went by fairly quickly, but it also made me realize just how much I enjoyed my time off. I always take a little bag o'tatting and a book with me whereever I go, because I cannot just sit and do nothing. In my job, there is quite a bit of free time, so I can indulge in a chapter or two or a motif. Challenge Motif #2 was started at work and finished last night when I got home.

Motif #2 is Pam Palmer's Miniature Peacock from Tatting Treats. His tail is tatted in size 80 'Helms Deep' from LadyShuttleMaker's Etsy shop with blue beads for the eyes in the feathers. His body is DMC color 3747, very light gray. Hmmm...there's that word again.


14 comments:

  1. Ohhh my not the "evil" gray hairs.. Sorry you found them I have so many here and there I just plainly gave up.. I have kids a husband and 2 dogs and my seasonal full time job.. I blame them ALL ha!!
    I love that peacock its BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the peacock, I like the colors you used and the placement of your beads. I love this peacock of Pam's and have made it many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about that first blindingly white hair, Steph. Never fear, my dear! My hair has been turning white since I was eight. I'd say you've done very well. Just tell everyone you are frosting it one hair at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peacock is gorgeous, the grey hair...we all have them, some fight them some don't. I started with them at 28 and have fought them ever since! and now my daughter pulls hers out one by one as she would prob be allergic to hair colourants. It a tough old world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice peacock, love the colors. And, yes, grey hair comes even when we surely aren't old enough!! A picture of me holding my grandson this Christmas was taken over my sholder. It only showed a bit of my hair - the horror! There was more than just one strand of grey!!! But the baby was very cute! Maybe people will only be looking at him...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! It was my vanity getting the best of me when it came to the gray hair. I guess I can't really complain since I made it all the way to 39 before the first one decided to rear its ugly head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Steph! You shall have no sympathy from me. My first gray hair was in my teens! LOL!
    Your peacock is very pretty. I like the matching beads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steph, I love your peacock and your choice of colors too...and the beads are perfect. I should someday make the peacocks. I do have that booklet...I might have to copy you and sometime get the Hemp Blue colorway. Yours is so pretty I want to copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha about the gray hair, I get mine in the same spot and yes they are as white as the rest of my hair is dark. I am just hoping to one day wake up with a whole head of white hair so I can be done with it! Love the peacock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sherry(Celtic), thanks for liking my peacock enough to want to copy. I'm flattered. I just love that blue for peacocks.

    LadyShuttleMaker, no no no on the instantaneous gray. I can wait 'til I'm 83 for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've worked very hard to "earn" that gray hair, LOL. The peacock is very pretty, and I like how the beads are in there to accent the tail feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grey! Don't be silly obviously you are like me and reverting to blond (grin)
    I love the peacock by the way, the colours, the beads and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, be glad it is platinum~silver and not a yellowed-grey. That was my daughter's comment (back in the day when she was a stylist). I, too, pd a fortune to have my hair 'frosted'and 'cellowphaned' silver! Sometimes I still had highlights for the 'shine' in '07; but have given up on that!
    Oddly, I have less grey and it's fairly scattered since the hair grew back in after chemo.
    Love your peacock and the color choices. Do like Pam's patterns and Jane's critters, too...
    happy tatting, Ridgetatter

    ReplyDelete