Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Another heart!

They say hindsight is always 20/20, so I really should have done this sooner and posted it for Memorial Day. Ah well, better late than never! I have always loved this pattern, but I have mixed feelings about how this one turned out. The rice beads are too long at the top of heart causing it to be a bit misshapen and I should have used down (or is it up?) joins for the split rings making the stripes. That little dot of color on the next row bugs me.

A friend of mine who also just recently was pink slipped stopped by for a bit today. She couldn't understand how I wasn't climbing the walls with boredom! I showed her the aforementioned stack of books and the piles of patterns, threads, crochet hooks and shuttles. She was too intimidated by the tatting shuttles, but she did pick up on crochet basics pretty quickly. So I threw together a beginners kit of a hook, a few balls of yarn, a granny square pattern and a list of crochet sites and off she went! And with that a new crocheter joins the ranks. Maybe I can get her to attempt the shuttle later...




The details: Altin Basak 50 and 10 rice beads. Approx 3-1/2" tall and 3" wide. Not a bad pattern for emptying shuttles as it used very little thread.

9 comments:

  1. Your Memorial Day heart is nice. Kudos to you for teaching your friend to crochet! That would be fun if she did eventually learn to tat!


    Oh, ironically, I already had the link to the heart in your previous post on my blog! D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, so there IS a good reason for the current economy--we need to get many many fiber converts...Love that R,W&B heart, very patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very pretty heart, and I love the colors! I see what you mean about the joins, though. Hmmm, try it the other way next time. Oh, don't forget Flag Day is June 14 and of course the 4th of July is coming up. You're not too late for all the patriotic holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your heart is really cool, even if the beads are a little long. It looks more folksy with the long beads. Congratulations on teaching your friend to crochet. I think it's always fun to teach someone something new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steph, OOOhhh I love this heart too! It is very unique.

    Sorry to hear that you were pink slipped. Hopefully it is temporary.

    Thanks for stopping by my site. Funny how you were looking to tat the same heart I did. I have had that heart printed off for many years always wanting to tat it. It was quick and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh mannnn! I just came across that heart in my binder over the weekend and was reminded, once again, that I have wanted to tat this one ever since Nell first posted it! I even have 3 spools of thread in the appropriate colors just waiting to be tatted! I'm embarrassed to think of how long it's been.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very pretty and patriotic. I love it. I'm sorry I hadn't read about you being pink slipped. I'm trying to catch up. I hope you will be able to find something else when you get ready.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am enjoying catching up on your blog...I am sorry to hear about your layoff. Bummer!
    It sounds like you are making wonderful use of your time and GIRL....that HPL is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your being to hard on yourself with this heart, it is super cool. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete