Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hairpin Lace

A while back I came across some hairpin lace looms in assorted sized. I was intrigued, so I bought them. I've seen hairpin lace incorporated into other types of lace -- knitting, crochet, and of course, tatting. Now that I've got plenty of time on my hands, I gave it a whirl tonight. I used a 1-1/2" loom. Books that teach hairpin lace fail! They don't show the flip. Yes, hairpin lace has a flip -- the hook! Once I got that part down, it was easy. This is my first attempt. Not pretty at the beginning, but I got better as I went along. I'll practice some more tomorrow. For anyone who's interested, this is the Youtube clip I learned from. Excellent!




These are different examples of some of the looms I bought. They come in sizes from 1/2" all the way to 2". Tomorrow I will be going yard sale-ing. Hopefully, I 'll hit paydirt and find some inexpensive old pattern books. Not that I don't have a bunch already. :)

6 comments:

  1. How fun! I've toyed with the idea of learning hairpin lace! I guess I'll live vicariously through you while you learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my mom teaching me how to make haripin lace years ago, probably when I was in junior high. I know I have a loom somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of my sewing room. Maybe I'll find it some day and join you in your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't live vicariously, TattingChic. Get a loom and just do it! :)

    Yes, join me, Diane. We'll have fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgia has some lessons using hairpin lace on her site. Also, Hope Green will be teaching her "Precious Butterfly" at Palmettos which uses hairpin lace. I think there is one on my blog. Lenore English has a lovely angel that uses hairpin lace and I think a doily too. I should look it up instead of throwing names around because the angel might have been by Martha Ess. I think they are all in Georgia's past online lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Gina. I was just on Georgia's page reading the lessons there and I saw Lenore's tatted hairpin lace snowflake. It's beautiful. The links you gave me before have been a great help, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Nope, I'd really rather tat, LOL! I'll just watch for now. :)

    ReplyDelete