Friday, August 28, 2009

Deal of the day

Impulse shopping. I know I shouldn't, but I do it -- all the time. Driving down the road determined to get from Point A to Point B without any distractions when BAM! out of nowhere I'm pulling over because a shop window has attracted my attention. Kind of like birds and their love of shiny things.

So anyway....today it was the antique shop near my favorite Michaels. They always have very unique furniture and whatnot out in front, but until today I have managed to resist the urge. Good thing, too. Most of their items are ridiculously overpriced even by antique shop standards. Back in a dark, dusty corner an old armoire caught my eye. When I opened the door, lo and behold, look what was sitting on the shelf:



Five dollars for the four of them! It goes without saying I snatched them up and home with me they went. The armoire itself turned out to be a piece of mass produced crap constructed in the 70s at the earliest. That's okay, though. The thrill of discovering the Pricillas properly sated me. Could you just imagine the buyer's remorse the next day if I'd have bought that thing?

12 comments:

  1. You located a little treasure there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! I don't think I'd have even looked inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gals.

    Diane, I have to look inside every piece of every piece of furniture I look at. It's the whole 'curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back' thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrr... I meant every drawer and every door of every piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowee...what a treasure! I love when stuff like that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an awesome possum find! That's not an impulse buy it's a "steal"! ;) LOL!
    How on earth could a tatter pass it up? I know I couldn't have. I have those same books and I purchased them years ago and I'm pretty sure each one cost more than 5 bucks each so very, very well done! Enjoy! :)

    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, great job spotting the Priscilla tatting books! I'm drooling & wishing I could thumb through them along with you.

    From one "haveta peek inside every drawer/door & piece of furniture" gal to another," I say, "Keep Rockin' the Shops!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing find! I photocopied that series, and with covers and binding, it cost considerably more than $5.00! Good for you for following your nose and going into the place that caught your attention! Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steph - thanks so much for visiting my blog!!! I am totally intriqued by tatting probably because it's one of those crafts that I admire but have never done! So I think I'm going to learn a lot from your blog. And you're a cross stitcher too. Saw your piece in the previous post and I love it. I noticed you entered my giveaway too. If you win, heck, I could drive it out to you as we don't live too far apart from one another. Anyway, glad I found your blog and I know I'll enjoy following it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deb, hi and welcome! Nice of you to stop and read a bit of my blog. We definitely aren't too far from one another at all. If you're interested, I could teach you to tat!

    ReplyDelete