Sunday, September 6, 2009

Fall!

Even though the calendar says it's still summer, fall has arrived. Autumn has never been my favorite season because it means winter is on its way. This year instead of mourning the cold dreary weather to come, I've decided to embrace autumn for all it's worth! The colors, the scents, the fantastic crafts ideas.... all of it! I follow approximately eleventy-thousand blogs and the love you all have for the season has forced me to FINALLY open my eyes and see the season for all its beauty. Thank you!

So, some fall tatting...

The pumpkin (Lizbeth 20, Harvest Orange) is Mary Maynard's pattern, possibly the best tatted pumpkin pattern in Tatland. I love it. The two leaves on top of the pumpkin are Karey Solomon's from her book Tatting Turns Over A New Leaf. I used DMC Perle cotton and Sherry Pence's Granny Delicious' HDT, and the bottom leaf is a Ruth Perry Celtic style maple leaf tatted in, what else?, Marilee's 'Sugar Maple' HDT. I see she has a new batch in her Etsy shop, too.

My favorite holiday is Halloween, so I had to do another cross stitch project. 'Remember Me' from my previous post still isn't back from the framer yet. JoAnn's has a three week back up due to a 60% off framing special they have going on right now. I better get my butt up there quickly with this one or else Halloween will be over before I get it back. The text doesn't show up well in the picture because of the camera flash. If you are so inclined, click on the picture for a bigger, better view.

Bold"By the pricking of my thumbs... something wicked this way comes"


"Something Wicked" by La-D-Da
35ct. 'Havana' by Weeks Dye Works
DMC flosses


And lastly, a nice little dollar store find keeping with the autumn theme -- a cute pumpkin canister for only $2! It's made of nice thick glass and holds about two quarts. I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I'm sure to think of something.




And with that, I'll wish you all a happy Sunday! For those of you who have tomorrow off (me!), enjoy your Labor Day festivities!

6 comments:

  1. You don't know what you'll put in the pumpkin jar yet? I know! I'd put candy in it! CHOCOLATE - lots of it! LOL!
    Wow - you've really got a head start on the season. And what an Autumn-ish background! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your leaves are all fab and the colours delicious! I am tatting leaves too, I have Karey's book now you have spurred me on to tat her leaves. Love the Celtic leaf..I must have that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Gina! How did I not think of chocolate?! I'm slipping in my old age.

    Pam, thanks! Karey's book is one of my favorites. I love the little acorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those little balls of size 80 that you love would look nice in that jar too.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that SAME pumpkin jar! I've had it for about 18 years, LOL! I have put pumpkin cookies, chocolates wrapped in fall colors (kisses, hershey's mini-bars), and fall colored M n' M's in it over the years...there are a TON of things to use it for!

    Love your tatted motifs in the fall colors. THe harvest orange looks so nice in the pumpkin pattern. When I saw that orange on Handy Hands I thought "icky, what would I ever use that for?". Now I see your pumpkin in it and I'm thinking...DUH! Fall is a lovely time of year with the colors and the scents and crisp feeling in the air.

    Oh, hey, guess what? Someone sent me NOT one, but TWO hairpin lace looms! Cool, huh!?

    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you decided to embrace Autumn. It is one of my favorite times of the year, like Lady Shuttle Maker! The leaves and pumpkin are so cute. You always do a good job. I love the witch embroidery. I need to do that one as Bill says I am a card carrying witch! I love the pumpkin cannister too.

    ReplyDelete