Monday, October 19, 2009

Plastic Rings and Christmas

Happy Sunday, all!  I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely autumn weather we're having.  Here in southeastern Michigan, we've been having unseasonably cool temps and dreary days.  This weekend turned out to be a gem, though.  Clear skies and a bit milder.  Temps in the mid-50s, instead of low 40s.  Brrrr....


I have been tatting some lately.  I wanted to show battatter's bat, Batflight, but he's gone, gone, gone. He's obviously lived up to his name and flew out the window or something.  Instead, I'll show a couple pieces from Jon Yusoff's Tatting With Plastic Rings.  So far, I've done Melati ( top) and Kincir (bottom).  The only size rings I had in my stash were 18 mm, so I decided to try size 80 thread .  Not too shabby considering I don't really have too much experience working with ring, which is also why I omitted beads. Please excuse the camera flash... 




I've been a good girl and stayed away from eBay lately. That is, until last week. The little voices in my head were telling me to get over there or else miss out on something big. And wouldn't you know it, they were right! The Number One book on my 'Must Have' list was just waiting for me to come and get it. None other than Pam Palmer's The Twelve Days of Christmas.  After seeing the gorgeous Partridge In A Pear on Carol's blog  a year or so ago, I was on the hunt ever since.

I am pretty good at guessing just how high an auction will go and was pretty sure there would be a lot of action on this one, but I was wrong. Only a couple low bids and it was mine. I am currently deciding on what threads to use for each day. This is going to be fun and they'll look great on the tree. A few more views:


 

I'm thinking about mounting each motif on a scrap of fabric inside small decorative cross stitch frames.  Another thing I have no experience with, so if anyone has any ideas on how to make this easier, let me know.  And for the record, no I am not going to make six, seven, eight, etc., of each Day.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be done until Christmas 2017!

5 comments:

  1. Your motifs turned out so well, you are spurring me on to get started.
    You are so lucky to have found that book, I would certainly have been bidding against you if I had seen it, good job i didn't. It's awful to think of tatting friends bidding against each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on winning this book. It is hard to find. I just love the patterns in this book. Can't wait to see your project as you tat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies!

    Pam, I agree, it is awful. There has been a few times I've read another tatter's blog to read how disappointed they were over being outbid in an auction. Those are the times I say to myself(with a twinge of guilt), "I'll not be blogging about this anytime soon.

    Carol, I just hope they turn half as good as your pear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely book, and congratulations on winning it, its a lovely feeling when that happens and even better when the item arrives. I always think that tatting items that are sold on e.bay are meant to go to a good home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book too, it was on my "bucket List" and Sue Hanson found it and I bought it from her. HOWEVER, IF ANYONE is looking for that book it is listed on Abebooks.com at a reasonable price.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete