Friday, November 27, 2009

Snowflakes!

Happy Day-After-Thanksgiving!  Hope everyone had a great holiday.  Yesterday was a nice dinner and afterward, to fight off the turkey coma trying to overtake me, I pulled out the shuttles and started tatting some ornaments.  My rainbow tree will be very skimpy if I don't make some headway quickly.  I think tomorrow I will dig it out of the basement and see what I can do with it.  Good thing it 's a small tree. 


Ornament One is from Susanne Schwenke's  Spitzen-Kreationen.  Originally, it was 5-pointed, but a snowflake has six!  I used some vintage Lily size 70 thread.
Ornament Two is from Kaye B. Judt's Oh My Stars!.  The technique used on the rings is what she calls TAK (tatting alternate knots). It's similar to a Maltese Ring, except instead of having the stitches in opposite directions they all stay on top.  This was my first experiment, so it's not the greatest piece, but I like it.  There's sure to be more.  I used Altin Basak 50 threads.
Ornament Three is from Lene Bjorn's Snowflakes in Tatting.  I love this little flake.  More vintage thread for this one, Star 70.  The thread in candy colors like this are my favorites.
Ornament Four is from Festive Tatting by DMC using Tatskool's world reknowned Rainbow Bright thread in size 80.

Right now the living room floor is covered in thread, tatting books, and print outs from the 'Net.  Snowflake fever has me in its grip! So I am off to create a blizzard....

5 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! I love the pattern and colour of the pink and yellow vintage thread snowflake. That is just wonderful.

    I might have to haul that little book out and look at the pattern!

    Thanks for your visit today - you gave me a giggle!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your snowflakes...especially the Rainbow Bright one...wonder why..thanks for the great write up...did I bribe you enough. Have that book must try it. I am also tatting Lene Bjorn's one, will show it on Dec 3rd!!
    I am in snowflake panic mode too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let it snow! Your blizzards are a welcome treat. They are all such pretty snowflakes. You will have a tree blanketed in snow crystals before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be that time of year! Snowflakes should be flurrying all over the Internet throughout the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your snowflakes are lovely! I also have that book by Susanne Schwenke called Spitzen-Kreationen. I tatted a bunch out of both of her books. It seems like I recall having to make a bunch of them in to six sided snowflakes, too because she called them "Stars" (in German). Anyway, all your snowflakes are beautiful! I can never get enough of tatted snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete