Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tat Day at Zig-Zag

Since you're reading this, that must mean I made it back from Tat Day in one piece.  It was a lot of fun and I am now on the lookout for other Tat Days within are within a five- or six- hour drive.  The drive down was nice and really showcased just how crappy the roads in Michigan are and how slow people drive in Ohio and Indiana (ha!).  At one point, we stopped off for a bite to eat at a McDonalds near enemy territory...err, I mean Lima, Ohio.  A quick glance around the restaurant made so, so happy that I forgot my University of Michigan sweatshirt.  The place was awash in red and gray and chances were better than even that we wouldn't have made it out alive for all the Buckeyes shirts, hats, tattoos, etc., that were in there!  We got our asses out of there before someone caught wind of the Michigan license plate in the parking lot.

That was the excitement for the day. From there it was an uneventful two or three hours to Greenfield, Indiana.  We got a room, had supper at Cracker Barrel and spent the rest of the evening talking and tatting. 

Up and early Saturday morning, breakfast, and off for a day of tatting.  Of course, I forgot my camera so I have no pictures to show.  Zig-Zag is a cute little store that was once a house.  As soon as I stepped through the door, I felt like I was at home or in heaven. Tatting supplies galore!  I could feel the cash I brought just burning a hole in my pocket.  But no time to shop, it was time to tat!  At each seat was a gift bag of stuff for the tatters.  It says Zig-Zag Quilts and Baskets on the bag, but the flash is hiding it.



Georgia Seitz was the guest teacher for the day.  She is such a funny lady and she had lots of stuff in store for us.  Our first project of the day was a candy cane reindeer.




 The only tatting we did for Rudolph here was the eyelashes around his googly eyes.  Not quite as easy as it seemed, but after three or four or five tries, I got it!

Ok, so you can't see them very well, but it was fun.  The other project was to decorate a 3-D Christmas tree, which was a four-sided tree cut from green construction paper.  Pearl tatting and some variations was to be the technique used to make the garland, but I didn't get it done because I kept screwing up and it was fun just to be talking to everyone so I have nothing to show for that one!  The it was time for lunch and to shop a bit.  Lunch was fantastic!  Sandwiches, a veggie tray, a cheese tray, two different kinds of soup (the potato soup was heavenly!) and cookies and brownies for desert.

This is the part I really wish I had brought a camera for --  the tatted pieces brought by the other ladies there.  One lady brought some beautiful baby bonnets and booties, a 3-d angel with pineapple motif wings (that I want, want, WANT!) and some other really pretty pieces.  Someone had brought a very old sample book that was absolutely fascinating.  Ornaments, doilies, a beautiful hat, and a shawl tatted by the Great Lakes Lace Group VP, Merie, were also highlights of the day.  There was a little wrought iron tree for everyone to hang ornaments on for an ornament contest that day.  I entered a beaded poinsettia and Ruth Perry's Celtic snowflake.   Now it was off to shop...

 


I wasn't done yet, but there was so much stuff that I didn't get to the books yet and it was time to go back to class.  First I want to say that Georgia had everyone laughing all day.  The next thing she had in store for us was a pop-up card.  We used Josephine knots to decorate some elements of a Christmas card she passed out for all of us and showed us how to make a pop-out in the center of the card using a motif.  For practice we used motifs that are oopsies or 'pattern adaptations', if you prefer. That project was a lot of fun, but I have no idea what I did with mine so you'll just have to use your imaginations.  Our last project of the day was to decorate a small organza bag with split rings and beads.  Basically, we used very long beaded picots and joined them in a swag fashion.
Example:  Beaded picot on Ring One joins to Ring Four, BP on Ring Two joins to Ring Five, etc.  I forgot all about this one until I started writing this post.  I will find mine later and show what I mean.  By now it was getting towards the end of the day.  Jennifer and Kaye of Zig-Zag had gifts for everyone.  I got a neon green Sew-Mate shuttle ( Love it!).  Before wrapping it up and calling it a day, there was still the ornament contest winner to announce.  Jennifer said, "Who had the poinsettia?".  I said to myself, " I know she just didn't say the poinsettia. Oh my God, my poinsettia was voted the best?!"  You could have knocked me over with a feather I was so surprised.
 

My prize was a gift certificate to spend in the store,which I promptly did.
 

I am still smiling as I write this.  At the end of the day, as we were all packing up and chit-chatting, a lady who I knew I knew from somewhere (but couldn't figure it out for the life of me) said she had trouble deciding which to vote for -- my poinsettia or the Celtic snowflake.  It was Ruth Perry herself!  She was sitting at the end of my table knitting a sock all day.  Ha Ha!

So that was the Tat Day at ZigZag. A great time was had by all and I am looking forward to next year.


11 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a lot of fun! Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day, I am green with envy and so wishing that you had taken photos. Thanks for telling about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, I'm so glad you had such a great time & I'm sorry I couldn't get there to see you and be in on the fun. I had a great day with my sister though, in Bloomington!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting about your day, it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm wishing to go to a tat day, some where, some way, some day. Until then I enjoy hearing about it from others who get to go. Looking forward to seeing your swag project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recap of an even greater Tat Day experience. Thank you so much for sharing, I felt almost as if I had been shadowing you through the day.

    What a great bounty of loot you brought back too! Woo HOO! Prizes, purchases and books galore.

    Your poinsettia is incredible. How long did it take you to tat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies!

    Isdihara, the poinsettia didn't take very long. All the rings are 3-3-3-3 and the chains are 3-3, except for the long chains joining to the yellow center(3-7+7-3). If you'd like, I can email the pattern to you. It was designed by Dolly Hollander and originally was on the Tattings.com site run by Etta Schuette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your poinsettia very much, well done for coming first!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh, Stephanie! That sounds like such a fun day at tat days! I am envious! How I would so love to go to something like that! Congratulations on winning the ornament contest! The poinsettia is lovely and you got some cool stuff at that store! I hope you like making snowflakes out of that German book you got. That is one of my fave tatting books (I have so many "fave tatting books", LOL!) You got some fabulous goodies on your shopping spree, too! I look forward to seeing what you put on your hanky!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a busy but fun time you had. You should see how long it would take to get to Cambridge Ontario. We have our Tat Days in September each year and have alot of fun too. It is great meeting the teachers but it is neat to also meet up with other tatting bloggers. I got to meet Gina The Tatting Goddess this year and hope she will be returning in 2010. If you would like more info just ask!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, this is way off topic but I was looking through your flicker pictures and loved the rose and thistle mat. Where did you get the pattern?
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete