Sunday, December 6, 2009

And the tree is up!

My little white tree that was supposed to be a tatted rainbow tree.  Why do I say supposed?  Because I seriously miscalculated just how many of the little suckers I'm going to need to fill this little bitty tree, that's why.
Click for larger view

Once I got the tree up and looked at the paltry pile of tatted ornies, it was down to the basement to get some more so it didn't look like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  Most of the glass ornaments are older than me, but I love them.  The topper is blown glass that I found in an antique shop for $6.    It  has a sticker on it that says Made in Germany.  

If you grab a magnifier, you can spot a few of the tatted ones in there.  I may have to rethink this 'size 80 only' policy so they can be seen without squinting!  See the old pink plastic ornament that looks  kind of like a Big Top tent?  There is a metal spinner in the center that turns at the slightest breeze.  When the tree lights reflect off it, it gives the impression of twinkling lights.  There are about ten different ones all over the tree.  Some of you may remember them in your childhood. 


 This next picture is of my favorite glass bulb.  Painted in the traditional Polish style, I bought this at Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland in Frankenmuth, Michigan.  If you've never been there, go!  There's lots to do and at least half of the visitors are from out-of-state or another country.

Well, that's it for now. I have to get back to tatting so my poor little tree can be called a TATTED rainbow tree.


6 comments:

  1. The tree is still pretty! Isn't it just amazing how many tatted snowflakes you have to have? Of course, I rarely tat in size 80. I think size 30 and 20 make nice size snowflakes for trees. Have fun making more colorful additions for your lovely tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree looks lovely! I'm sure it will be filled with tatted ornaments before you know it! Yes, I've been to Bronner's... years ago. Unfortunately, we didn't have the money to buy anything at the time. Can you believe it was a day trip for us? We live about an hour south of Chicago. I will go back some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree is beautiful Steph!! I love the vintage blown glass ornaments. My tree is full of them. BRONNER'S, I LOVE that store. I lived in Michigan for 10 years and we went there twice a year. I have a huge collection of hand blown ornaments from there, mostly the ones like your stunning ornament from Poland, many from Germany. I think your tatted snowflakes look wonderful too on the white tree. The rainbow brite color shows up so well. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty good to me, i love your favourite ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic rainbow tree! Your size 80 snowflakes look so delicate, just like snowflakes should. And the colors are all wonderful, but I must admit that the Rainbow Bright flake shows up particularly well in your photos. (Love the one at the tippy top too -- with the onion rings!)

    Have never been to Bronners, but will keep it in mind if I ever find myself in Michigan. (I have a friend who travels to Michigan each year to visit family. I should ask her about Bronners.)

    But I suspect you are holding out on us! Is that a tiny snippet of tatted tablecloth I see underneath the tree stand? If so, please show us more of that too. Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies.

    Carol, Bronner's is the greatest! The online store just pales in comparison, doesn't it? My favorite section of the store is the collection of Nativities from around the world.

    Isdihara, thank you but no, that's not a tatted tablecloth. It's actually crocheted. One day, I'll take on a tatted project that big!

    ReplyDelete