Saturday, April 3, 2010

Yesterday's haul

Before I begin, I have to say I have fallen hopelessly in love with my new blog background.  Isn't it the cutest?  This one is definitely staying for a while.

Now on to the tatting!  I couldn't resist the call of a good Joann's one day coupon, which was 25% off the entire  basket.  Here's some of the highlights of said basket:

 Some gorgeous new colors of Lizbeth. There was only one ball of each left, so I snatched them up.  The glare from the camera makes it hard to tell, but they are Vineyard Harvest, Lt Seagreen, Dk Seagreen, and Dk Boysenberry.  The Boysenberry really knocks my socks off, which is noteworthy since I am not a fan of fuschia-like shades.  I have plans for that one already.  Now the box is a set of Gütermann threads.  It was on clearance for $9.97, so of course, I had to snap that one up, too.  Here is what was inside:

Oooh, pretty!  Each spool holds 100 meters of thread.  It looks like the thread is about equal to size 100.  I think it'll make nice hanky edgings.  The final really interesting goodies  I picked up were these:

Three pairs of Gingher scissors.  The pair on the left are 3-1/2" Epaulettes, the center are 4" spring action snips, and on the right are 3-1/2" stork scissors.  Also shown is one of the sheaths they come with.  Gingher snips are a bit pricy, but they are worth every penny.  Being on sale for 50% off made them extra hard to resist.  I also picked up three packs of Clover shuttles, a Clover crochet hook and a bunch of Lily brand Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn.  I'm feeling the urge to make some new potholders and Sugar 'n Cream is my favorite to use.  Lots of pretty colors!

One other thing, Gina recently commented on the reliability of Lizbeth thread and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm currently working on something using mint green and have had the plies untwist and become so tangled I had to cut it out and start over.  Also, there's been splices in almost every ball of size 20 I've picked up in the last two months.  I've yet to have this happen with the 40, so maybe it's just a temporary problem, especially with the size 80 about to launch in another month. I still buy it because of the beautiful colors and it works up so nicely. Still, I would have to echo Gina by saying buyer beware.

4 comments:

  1. I love your new background! The kids at school would really get a kick out of this one!

    Congratulations on your haul! I'm headed out to Hobby Lobby today, not because I need anything, but because I want to check things out! I also love Gingher scissors, and I think they're well worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a get haul!!! That is interesting about the Lizbeth thread. I have not had that problem yet because I have not been doing very big projects with it. I have to keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice stuff! And a great background. The Lizbeth thread? I have to agree with you and Gina. I have had a lot of grief with so much of the $20.

    The #40 is better so far, but, you are so right: caveat emptor!

    I have the same variegated pink and also the darker turquoise in the #40, and found they worked up very well.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I couldn've sworn I left a comment here earlier! You got some really good things there! Pretty thread! I've got some Gingher scissors, too! Mine are leopard print handles, though! LOL! Enjoy your 3 pair! They are worth every penny, I agree! I got mine so I can snip off my tatted ends close to the tatting and you can't tell...so it looks more finished, you know? Have fun with all your toys!
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete