Saturday, May 1, 2010

Een Tulp*


*Dutch for 'a tulip'.
Sharp eyed Isdihara was right.  It's a tulip. The reason for a tulip?  It's Tulip Time in Holland! Holland, Michigan, that is.  The western side of the state has a strong Dutch heritage and they celebrate it every May.  Always a lot of fun and more tulips than you can shake a stick at.

My tulip is actually German in nature because it was designed by Adelheid Dangela and can be found in her book Mustersammlung I.  Tatted using DMC threads in pale peach, melon, and light green it measures nearly 12"(30.5 cm).  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out and want to get it framed.  I still have to get my big butterfly framed, but cash is a bit tight at the moment.  Just another thing to add to the list of things to get done.


16 comments:

  1. So unusual ans very pretty. Your stitches are beautiful.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is simply GORGEOUS! Very unique, and very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE...LOVE your tulip. I haven't seen a book by this person with a tulip in it. I do have the Butterfly one though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tulip turned out beautifully! You did a very nice job of it! :) Love the colors!
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is prettier than any tulip I've tatted. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. Especially the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very pretty. Stunning pattern and beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a stunning piece of work and I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's beautiful, lovely choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Steph,
    Your tulip is awesome and that is coming from a Hollander from MI. Don't know if you would be interested, but there is a contest or something each year, I believe, where you can enter tulip art such as paintings, pictures or whatever for the Tulip Time Poster for the year and I think yours would be a unique entry and may actually get some attention if you were wanting to enter it. Either way, I think yours is great! :) Have a blessed day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO eye-catching and attractive! An amazing pattern!

    What size DMC thread did you use? I was suprised by the 12" measurement. Is that the measurement across, from leaf to leaf?

    I think doing those leaves would be tricky! I imagine you'd have to draw an outline to get the correct proportion on the leaves in order to determine the length of the long threads between the rings.
    You certainly did a great job.

    Hope your back is better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone!

    Hello and welcome God's Kid! Thanks for the compliment and the info about the Tulip Time contest. I have to look into that.

    Hi Kathy! I used size 80 thread for my tulip. The leaves weren't really that tricky because I followed along with the picture! Otherwise, it would have been a big mess. To measure the thread spaces, I reverse the work, let the thread out, and put my thumbnail at the spot where the thread looks long enough and make my ring there.

    ReplyDelete