Saturday, May 29, 2010

I'm a bad, bad blogger

I don't mean to go so long between posts, but before I know it a week or more has passed.   I'm good at keeping up with your blogs(yay for the iPhone!), though.  Anyway, here's the update of the past week in case anyone's interested.

Last Saturday was the Great Lakes Lace Guild's Love of Lace at the Livonia Civic Library.
 Banner is made of all different types of lace.

Bobbins from around the world.

Quite the success, it was!  Bobbin lacers, tatters, and other types of lace were shown and there were lessons in bobbin lace and tatting for anyone who wanted to learn.  There was a LOT of interest in all the lace types, so much so, that the tired phrase 'Tatting is a lost art!' should be immediately banned from the English language.

I took the opportunity to try bobbin lace.  On. My. God.  I could get addicted to that.  It was so much fun.  I made a fish: 
 My fish, name tag, and commemorative bobbin.

Not a very fancy or difficult fish, but I did it!  My very first piece of bobbin lace.  Now, I know how I am with my addictive personality and all so I had to come up with a way to keep myself from dropping a load of cash at Holly Van Sciver's booth on bobbin lace supplies. The deal I made with myself is this: I will occasionally purchase a pair of bobbins and when I have two dozen bobbins, THEN I will buy a pillow, books, etc.  Let's see how long this deal lasts...

ZigZag Corner and Kathy Kirchner were the other two vendors for the event.  People came from miles around to shop.  So much good stuff, I just stood in the middle of the room and looked around for a minute or two just to take it all in.  I was a good girl and only bought the bobbin in the previous pic and some thread...

 Venus, Altin Basak, and Lizbeth threads.

I even got some tatting done!  
 This is the start of 'Primrose Path' by Mary Konior.  I'm using size 80 Peach Pandorea HDT and vintage Lily in pale peach.  The Lily thread is slightly thicker than the HDT, but it's not making a difference so far.  *fingers crossed*  Other than that, I still haven't done much tatting.  There's something in my brain that says "summer equals crochet" or "summer equals cross stitch", so I kind of lose interest in tatting for a few months.  That's OK, though.  I'll more than make up for it come autumn.  

Speaking of crochet, I'm past the halfway point in squares production for my afghan.  It looks like there will be lots of left over yarn, so there may be a pillow to match.  My goal is to be finished with the afghan by July 4.
Shown in my lovely woven basket rescued from the Salvation Army store for two dollars!

 I would probably be further along on my afghan if my attention span wasn't so short.  After Love of Lace, I stopped at a needlework shop that is near the library and picked up floss and fabric for a cross stitch sampler I've been wanting to do.  This is Bluebird's Message(Loose Feathers #23) from Blackbird Designs.  I'm going to give it to my mom when it's finished.
 
So that's all I've been up to in between the intrusions of work and real life.  Hope the weather is as glorious in your neck of the woods as it is in mine!  Have a great weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, what fun! I wish I could have been there! I could also become addicted to bobbin lace, and Romanian point lace, and knitted lace, and crocheted lace... oh, dear! I can't help myself right now... I'm on a hat kick for my grandchildren... two finished, one started, one more to go... and Stella Alpina keeps calling my name. What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondering where you have been!!! I do hope you get in the tatting mood for the fall so maybe you will think about coming to Cambridge, Ontario in September for the Fringes tatting weekend. You should try to come. One of the teachers is a master lace maker and is doing classes too. Let me know if you need more info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fish must be the standard starter piece in bobbin lace, because I made one just like it at a demo last year.

    Does anyone else think it's really funny that the American bobbin looks like a baseball bat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fish is a great starter, I only did boring things! But could get addicted.
    The little mat in the peach is going to be glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful things -- all of them.

    ReplyDelete