Monday, July 5, 2010

Wow, is it hot enough for ya?

Yet another 90+ degree day here in the metro Detroit area and I see a good portion of the eastern US is a bit toasty, too.  At the last minute, I chose to go on vacation this week.  Good thing.  Who wants to be in a plant in crap like this?

Anyway, today's vacation plans were nothing fancy.  Used book stores and thrift shops were the order of the day.  That is, until my truck's radiator decided to split in three places.  Luckily, a friend's repair shop was right down the street.   Two hours and a new radiator later, I was back on the road.  I wasn't really too much in the mood to shop after that, but I did stop at a couple places.  The best find of the day?  This:
 Other than yardage of edging or hankies, I rarely find tatted anything.  Look at this, isn't it gorgeous?  It's combined with crochet between the rounds.  Here's a close up of the detail. 

The crochet chain stitches are so nice and neat.  I love it.  I suppose I should give it a wash, but I don't know how old/new it is or what I should use.  Anyone suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  The owner of the shop I bought it in said she may be getting more tatted items this week from the same estate, so I am going to make another trip in a couple days. 

And with this bit of show-and-tell, I am off for the day.  A bowl of Edy's Rocky Road ice cream is calling my name...  Stay cool people!

13 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! My only suggestion would be to hand wash with delicate detergeant, but that's a guess. :) Enjoy the rest of your last minute vacation!!!! Prayerfully we will have ours the first week in August going to Cedar Point! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW! That is truly as awesome find! Lovely piece...makes you wonder about the hands that created it...Good for you...just make sure you make it back to that store to check out the rest of that estate. Tatland is laughing at how clever you were...to take your holidays this week! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely doily. I would probably soak it in a wool wash,or something similar, that is not too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific find! Thrilled for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too hot for me! Thank goodness for air conditioning! That's a wonderful find... lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephanie!

    I'm trying not to complain about the heat here in Pittsburgh, but I admit that 95 degrees is too hot for me, especially with high humidity. I try to remember the snow and how much I hated it this year. Actually this weather is quite reminiscent of my childhood, when I 'lived' at various local swimmng pools during those long, hot summers of school vacation in the 1950s! My DH and I met at one of those pools in 1960! Great memories! But I don't like the heat now!

    I'd be a little cautious about this doily coming from an 'Estate'. It looks like one of those new imported ones that show up at some lace shops. They always have crocheting in them, with those medallions on the outside. The designs are very attractive, they're very neatly tatted (and crocheted). In fact, they're almost too perfect. (I've never heard of a tatting machine, though.) I've seen them in different shapes, and I have a 7" diameter round one that I purchased in 1the 1990s for only $2.50, which worried me. If hand made, they are very much undervalued. And if there's a machine, someone's keeping it a secret! Who designs them? Who makes them? Where are they coming from? Let us know if you find out more about it. Others in tatland may have some opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that doily is amazing!! I love how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah its hot in NY too. I usually stay in with weather like that. I just have to say that this doily is just PERFECTION!!! I have never seen anything like it yet, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful find! Maybe you will be lucky enough to find some shuttles or other tatting tools from that estate too.

    We've had some hot humid days here in the MInneapolis area too. Thank God for A/C!

    ReplyDelete
  10. now THaT is gorgeous! great find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you find some neat things at the shop when you return. I agree with Kathy, I've seen similar pieces that were very inexpensive and new, but it does look good. Good luck. And keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice find! Lovely pattern.

    It is sooo hot in Ontario as well. I'm meeeeellllltttiiinngggggggggg.....

    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's magnificent, the crochet addition is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete