Saturday, March 24, 2012

Goodies in the mail and a FO

The weather here has been so nice lately I've spent as much time as possible enjoying it so that means no tatting to show.  This is Michigan, it's still March and that means we're sure to get slammed by Old Man Winter at least once more.  I can handle it though, because I already have tan lines!  Last week I received a package in the mail from Tatskool.  Some of her cheery, sunny, lovely YELLOW 'Just Daffodils' HDT size 80  and beachy blue 'Coral Reef' HDT size 40.
      'Just Daffodils' shown on a vintage crochet doily found at a resale shop.

The Coral Reef is almost gone already.  I would have finished that project by  now, but something else grabbed my attention so maybe next post for that one.

The attention grabbing project is a UFO I thought was lost forever.  Last year, I lost a bag containing a couple WIPs.  I thought it  must have fallen out of my truck as I was getting in or out and didn't notice.  Well, I found it.  So back to working on them!  The first one done out of the bag is Jon Yusoff's 'Rosette Doily'.
I liked it, but there was something not quite right about it. Too plain.  It needed something more.  So I thought about it and revisited it today.  This is what it looks like now:
I added six more motifs at the center of each angle making it twelve pointed instead of six-sided. Quite a bit more visually appealing, don't you think?  I used Olympus 50 thread in lavender variegated and lime green.  On the very last motif, I ran out of green so I used some Lizbeth Spring Green.  Not an exact match, but close enough!  It measures just under 17(43.2cm) inches across, one of the biggest doilies I've done.

One more thing, Tatskool is such a sweet person and a dear friend.  Included in her package to me was this:
Isn't it gorgeous?  Tatskool does some beautiful tatting.  Her stitch tension is perfect! It's not too often someone gifts me with their tatting.   This is very special to me and I'll treasure it always.  

6 comments:

  1. Yummy, yummy threads. LOVE your UFO and am SO glad you found it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colored threads!! And I just love that doily!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The six additional motifs are a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous thread! So glad you found your WIP and you finished it with the perfect flourish! Tatskool is a very special friend, how lucky to get some of her tatting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doily looks great, glad you hadn't lost it forever. Good shape, lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete