Thursday, March 1, 2012

Now THAT'S a baby blanket!

So one of my many cousins is  expecting a baby next month.  I'm not of the 'pink is for girls, blue is for boys' school of thought.  I'm told that makes me a bit of a strange bird.  So be it! So after some research and a bit of digging through my ever growing stash I came up with The pattern is from The Adventures of The Gingerbread Lady blog.  It's her tutorial aptly named Crazy Patchwork -- Klimt Squares.  
 
The yarn is ten different colorway of Chroma Fingering from KnitPicks using a 3 mm crochet hook. These pictures do NOT do this blankie justice.  The colors are much brighter and more vivid.  I wish this damn dreary weather would go away!  It's screwing up my pictures.

Sewing the squares together was an adventure in and of itself.  There are 2-, 4-, 6-, 8-. and 10-round squares which had to be pieced together into strips then the strips sewn together into a rectangle.  Fun...no.  The results get two thumbs up though!  I just hope I don't blind the baby with all that color.  ;)

And on the tatting front, the practice butterfly edging is working out nicely.  Now I just have to find a linen and choose a thread that I like.  Handy Hands had oblong table runners in various sizes now, so there's a thought.  When I was looking through my yarn stash I came across a tatting WIP that's now a FO!  She is Ricarda from Adelheid Dangela's Tatted Butterflies book.  She is made with Tatskool's Rainbow Lite HDT size 80 and the body is a vintage J &P Coats thread. The edging is done with a ball of Manuela 20 that I bought when I first learned to tat back in 2001.

Happy March 1!  Remember, spring is just around the corner.  I can't WAIT.

11 comments:

  1. Why should a baby's world be all boring pastel? You made good color choices. Karen in OR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Exactly. No boring things allowed. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Just gorgeous! I love it - brilliant work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment and for taking the time to stop by my blog!

      Delete
  3. colors the brighter the better are some of the first things they are able to see. good color choices. I crochet too, but don't know if I would have the patience to tackle that one.
    pretty tatting, the butterfly is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing baby blanket! Well done!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the blanket, and the butterflies! The brighter the better I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the baby blanket! This butterfly edging is the first edging pattern I remember tatting and I did for a project for myself. I think that was a first, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words, ladies! Now I just have to work out making a corner for this edging.

    ReplyDelete